songs hit & album mp3 down load Our editors plumb the depths of music and showcase the best of it here every month. Take a gander at the albums that move them, the songs they can't get out of their heads and the vinyl they're wearing out, then get in on the conversation over at their music blog

10/29/08

How To Save A Life (New Album Version)


How To Save A Life (New Album Version)
How to save a song The Fray's "How to save a life" is a catchy, thoughtful song. It's no wonder that Grey's Anatomy snapped it up,with its lyrics about losing a friend,regret,mortality. It's not the usual cliched pop song. It's got an infectious beat. Unfortunately,it's been overplayed. "How to save a life" nearly succumbed to overplaying. Still, it's a thoughtful, deep song.
Boring and unoriginal. I like David Gray too, but that doesn't mean I want to barf up my own note for note copy of "Please Forgive Me", slow it down, and write new, uninspired lyrics. I would be asleep if I wasn't so irked at the rip off. Thou shalt not steal! The Fray should be fed to lions. I'd watch.
If It Wasn't For Radio... As with Matchbox Twenty back in the day, The Fray was thought to be a one-hit wonder after the surprise success of "Over My Head," but thanks to Grey's Anatomy, it's fate was sealed. Top 5 success followed, and much radio play ensued. The results were mixed.
Although it was nice to see the band and song do well, after endless radio play, what I'd once thought of as a thoughtful, unique, well-done song, had now turned into, 'it's ok.' That's it, in my mind at least, it has now lost all its meaning and emotion, trading it in for fame and glory. Maybe a bit harsh, but that's what constant radio-play does to a song.
So is the song bad? No. It's actually quite good. I would just call it a victim. So, if you listen to the radio regularly, especially adult alternative, don't get this song. But if not, than you'll probably like it as its success is due to its emotional and overall accessibility.