songs hit & album mp3 down load Our editors plumb the depths of music and showcase the best of it here every month. Take a gander at the albums that move them, the songs they can't get out of their heads and the vinyl they're wearing out, then get in on the conversation over at their music blog

10/9/08

The Stand Ins

The Stand InsAll about the songs Personally I can take or leave Will Sheff sometimes, his slurry vocal wailing on songs like "Blue Tulip" can really turn me off. I'd be much happier if he sang without the "I'm a quarter drunk and in pain" inflection, because I like his voice in general.
But never mind, because the dude can flat out write, and the attraction here is a bunch of killer passages, including the above mentioned "Tulip", which drags much too long, but is still a fine song, not a melody line out of place. Not everything works, "Pop Lie" doesn't really hang together in the middle of the other gems, but for the most part it's so good you have to listen, even if the mood of any particular song isn't your style.
I realize it's been ten years now, but I'll be interested to hear what he might do in another five, maybe he can scale back the vocal drama a bit and really hit the bullseye. Because he's close, and on a heck of a roll besides, it's so rare when someone can write this well repetitively. Nice job.