songs hit & album mp3 down load Our editors plumb the depths of music and showcase the best of it here every month. Take a gander at the albums that move them, the songs they can't get out of their heads and the vinyl they're wearing out, then get in on the conversation over at their music blog

9/30/08

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Score

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The ScoreFinally! I've long been aware of Chris Beck, and believe that he is a brilliant composer who gave much of BtVS its emotional heft in S 2-4 and the finale for S 5. Just hearing these wonderful music tracks without the accompanying scenes only confirms my opinion, and some of them move me to tears. Anyone who is a fan of the show, and in particular the Buffy/Angel relationship shouldn't miss this CD. I agree with eveything M. G. Watson has to say about the score and Beck's talents. His use of themes and the way they are developed to suit changes in relationships and situations is masterful, and he often surprises me melodically, rhythmically and harmonically. Then there are the gorgeous melodies... The only selections I would have liked to see included are: - the complete "Close Your Eyes" section. Although I know part of it is on the other BtVS album, it would have been nice to have it included here as a whole. - the Buffy/Angel dream sequence from Amends. A reprise of the theme from Innocence, it's beautifully done in Amends, especially with the celesta-like beginning. - the Buffy/Angel possession scene near the end of IOHEFY. Really captures the feeling of tragic loss and longing between the characters. - how about the Buffy rat theme instead of the alternate version of The Gift's finale? One can't have everything and I shouldn't complain as I've been waiting for this album for a long, long time. I rather think the show started going downhill generally after Beck left and nothing in S 6 or 7 even comes close to his musical achievements (with the notable exception of OMWF, the music of which he realized and orchestrated, I believe).